Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The uvulo-palato-pharyngoplasty (UPPP) and tonsillectomy was a sucess!!

Well the surgery went off without a hitch. I went in Friday morning at 9:15am and they tried to take my blood. Poor girl I thought she was gonna faint from sticking my arms so man times. I was then asked to change into a gown. Oh and by the way if any of you that read this work for a hospital. Can we get something a little less revealing?? I was then asked to lay on a bed and I was asked 20 million questions and someone listened to me breath and someone was trying to get the IV started. Oh yeah that poor nurse. Oh I think I got it oh wait no it's not in...Oh wait yeah there it is. Then finally it came time for me to wait on the surgeon. And wait...and wait..Finally an hour later he finally shows up and they take me down this long hall and into a operating room. This is where I get myself on a surgery table and then they gas me and the next thing I remember I was waking up in the recovery room and my throat was sore as could be. So they took my tonsils out and then reconstructed my Uvulo and palate of my mouth. Unlike my friend Brian's surgery I had to stay overnight to make sure there was no bleeding or that I wasn't going to die. They nurses when I first got to my room was very nice and they were all attentive and asking me if I would like some pain medicine. Then they put these braces on my legs that filled with arm and then let out. It is so you don't get blood clots in your legs or anything and die. Well after all that I went back to sleep and slept most of the afternoon and evening. I remember waking up a couple times to see my partner Tom sitting there by my bedside. I was in and out of it and really just kinda sleeping it off. Well later that night of course you get woke up every damn hour on the hour to take your blood pressure and temperature. God why can't hosptials just leave you alone once you went to sleep? I do remember waking up at 4:15am and feeling that I needed some more pain medicine and called the nurse and asked her to bring me some. But she never showed up. I laid there and finally just went back to sleep. I woke up at 6:30am to the smell of eggs and cream of wheat that was on my tray and I was thinking to myself these people are HIGH if they think I am gonna be eatting anything soon. I took a few bites of egg and it was hard to swallow but I got some down along with a little cream of wheat. Then I remember my doctors med student coming in the room and talking to me for a few mins and then she left. I also remember asking for something for pain again at that time and not getting it. Finally around 8am 2 nurses came into my room to get me ready to go home and she asked if I was in pain and I said yes so she went and got me some morphine and tylenol with codine. WOO HOO was I loopy after that. They finally took my IV out and wheeled me down to the doors and I was out of there. The weekend was pretty rough and it was hard to swallow anything all weekend because it just hurt too damn bad. So today is 4 days after the surgery and the roof of my mouth feels so weird and I can feel the stiches in my mouth. I am not suppose to be talking so when I go to work I just sit here like a bump on a log and chat online and surf the web. Oh and let me just say that Tylenol with condine is my best friend right now! :-) Well I will let you all go for now and I am gonna try to get back to work or at least try like I am!
YEE HAW! Steak and eggs in no time!!!!

No comments: